May 2023: Diary of a CFP® Pro: News from Marguerita Cheng — Honoring Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, May 2023
April showers bring May flowers: Another reason to celebrate! This is my favorite time of the year, not just because the world is blooming but because Spring is a great time to take a fresh look at your financial plans.
Here are a few ways to get started:
Margaritas with Marguerita: I invite you to listen and watch the most recent interview from my weekly podcast and video show, Margaritas with Marguerita! You’ll find our conversation on MargueritaChengRadio.com and our TV episodes of the interviews on MargueritaCheng.tv. Scroll down to learn about our upcoming guests.
In the News: Also, scroll down to read some of the articles I am quoted in and have written to national media outlets this month, packed with information that I hope will help you understand more about your financial future.
Hot off the presses: “Diary of a CFP® Pro” is available! Preview of the 12 chapters at DiaryofaCFPPro.com. To order your book copy for $5, send my team an email!
To book me to talk about lessons learned and how you can maximize your financial plan, click here to contact me today! — Cheers to you, Rita
This month on the Margaritas with Marguerita Cheng, CFP® Pro Show
Above, you’ll find the most recent interview in my podcast and video series that shines a light on experts from around the world who are helping us flex our financial muscles.
In this week’s Fabulous Friday podcast and video show: May 26 — Meet Jeff Weiss (pictured right) explains “Relationship Investing — Stock Market Therapy for your Money.” We invite you to check out our podcast and video interview above!
Next Friday: Learn more about ESG with Liz Simmie, Co-Founder, Honeytree Investment Management
If you missed it — Connect with our 2023 guests:
- May 19 — Credit Score expert Paul Ryan helps us take the mystery out of credit scores and credit histories.
- May 12 — Ben Miller, founder of ChroniFI, teaches us that money is time.
- May 5 — Liz Davidson, founder and CEO of Financial Finesse talks about becoming Money Strong
- April 28 — Meet Dorrit Lowsen, Co-CEO of Change Finance, who helps us understand the impact investing equation.
- April 21 — Kanchan Bhaskar, author of Leaving, explains how she set herself free from an abusive marriage and how you can, too!
- April 14 — We are thrilled to introduce you to Rose Bakewell, “The Great American Baking Show” contestant, entrepreneur, and master baker
- April 7 — Meet Michael Hakerem, founder of Empowered Portfolios® and Glenwood Financial Partners.
- March 31 — HR expert Michelle Aronson teaches us to be a better leader and build a better workplace!
- March 24: Dr. Megan McCoy is a researcher who focuses on financial therapy, financial well-being, financial communication, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- March 17: Financial Coach Linda Lingo CPA teaches us to increase our money EQ.
- March 10: Journalist Eugenie George is the author of “Our Money Stories.” We know you are going to love this interview about her path to becoming a teacher of financial fitness.
- March 3: Meet Thao Truong, CFP®, client manager at Morton Wealth who tells us about “Herself by Morton,” an initiative that provides women with free networking opportunities and financial education resources
- March 1: Celebrate the start of International Women’s Month with Fiona Simon, entrepreneur and author of “Gambling on Granola”
- Feb. 24: Tony Steuer, insurance expert and author who is a champion for financial wellness and financial inclusion
- Feb. 17: Claudia Porter, CFP®, Personal Economic Advisor Financial Reserve
- Feb. 10: Tandy Pryor, Personal Empowerment Coach
- Feb. 3: Shannon Baker, podcaster and business strategist
- Jan. 27: Jeannie Dougherty, money expert, and mental fitness strategist
- Jan. 20: Pamela Jackson Sams, a strong voice in personal finance for women
- Jan. 13: Carol Cho, CLU®, ChFC®, who is obsessed with helping her clients unravel and demystify financial planning through education
- Jan. 6: John O’Connell, author of “Rise of the Activist Investor.”
- Click here to check out all of the podcasts from 2022.
- Listen to all of our podcast interviews: MargueritaChengRadio.com.
- Watch our video interviews on MargueritaCheng.tv.
Marguerita in the News
Scroll down to read some of the articles I’ve been quoted in this month. I think there’s some great information in these stories that you can apply to your financial plan.
May 15, 2023: Kiplinger, “How to Tackle Digital Estate Planning in Four Easy Steps” — An article by Kiplinger columnist Marguerita Cheng is featured in today’s issue, which explains, “Much of our lives is digital, and many things we hold dear are not physical. But what happens to our digital assets when we die?
That’s where digital estate planning comes in. State laws such as the RUFADAA (Revised Uniform Fiduciary Access to Digital Assets Act) offer the executor of an estate or attorney access to a person’s online accounts after incapacitation or death.
These laws help you to protect your digital assets. But you need a digital estate plan to enable your family to access your digital assets if you pass away. Several states have adopted RUFADAA, which has a three-tier process for accessing digital assets. Click here to learn more!
May 11, 2023: Purse Strings, “Caring for an aging parent: Learn from Marguerita Cheng’s true story” — On today’s episode of Purse Strings, Marguerita Cheng, Chief Executive Officer of Blue Ocean Global Wealth, shares her personal story of caring for her father as he battled Parkinson’s.
“From the impacts on her family, her time, work, and finances, we learn all about it,” says Maggie Nielson, host of the show. “We can all take away things to consider when deciding if you should leave the workforce (lose pay, benefits, and all) or pay to hire medical care and assistance.” Click here to watch the show!
May 2023: Marguerita Cheng, CFP® Pro is thrilled to be included in a new book by an 11-year-old author Girl to Boss!: Advice for Girls from 50 of America’s Most Successful Women. entitled,
Coming September 2023: This new title is by
About the book: Fifty women. Fifty inspiring stories. Fifty role models for America’s girls! Spies. Venture capitalists. Pilots and Pulitzer Prize winners. Doctors and diplomats. Economists and engineers. Scientists and CEOs. Teachers. Software developers. Video game makers. And so many more! Based on dozens of interviews, 50 of America’s most successful women, some famous, some not, reveal their tips on how they made it. How they blazed their own trail. How they learned along the way. How they dealt with setbacks and defied the naysayers.
Written for girls ages 9 and up: They will soon enter what is a rapidly evolving economy and workforce. Girl to Boss! will inspire, entertain, and inform the next generation of leaders and achievers!
Click here to preorder the book!
And stay tuned for our interview with the authors: Coming soon to MargueritaChengRadio.com and MargueritaCheng.tv.
eMoney, May 1, 2023 — Marguerita Cheng, CFP® Pro, is featured in today’s article by Celeste Revelli who explains: When asked about how they started in the industry, many of the Asian-American financial planners I admire say the same thing: At first, they didn’t even know the profession existed. There is power in the phrase “to be it, you need to see it.”
Only 4 percent of Certified Financial Planner™ professionals identify as Asian American or Pacific Islander (AAPI), though they make up 6.2 percent of the American population.1,2 Despite the small numbers, AAPI professionals remain the largest ethnic minority within the financial planning profession. The AAPI experience is difficult to pin down because it can vary widely. The term AAPI includes almost 50 ethnic groups from East and Southeast Asia, as well as the Pacific Islands.2 We all have unique beliefs when it comes to talking about (or not talking about) money. Also, the fact that many AAPI clients are first-generation Americans emphasizes the importance of cultural awareness for financial planners. For these reasons and more, the work of these trailblazing financial planners deserves a spotlight for Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month.
Here’s what Marguerita says: “Being a financial planner is intellectually stimulating, emotionally gratifying, and financially rewarding, plus it allows the planner to make a positive impact on the community.” Once named a “Woman to Watch” by InvestmentNews, Cheng uses her high profile for the betterment of the profession, spreading a message about the benefits of skilled and ethical financial planning. Currently a member of the Diversity Advisory Group for the CFP Board, she demonstrates thought leadership in the profession through her regular columns for news outlets, as well as her podcast, Margaritas with Marguerita Cheng. Learn more about Cheng and how culture and empathy inform her approach in the article, Helping Couples Manage Money in Marriage. Click here to read more.
ETF.com, April 11, 2023 — On today’s episode of ETF Working Lunch, Blue Ocean Global Wealth founder Marguerita Cheng explains what drives her practice and how she serves her clients. Rita joins etf.com‘s Heather Bell on the podcast to talk about how her firm approaches educating and coaching clients. Click here to listen!
About ETF Working Lunch: Our biweekly podcast where etf.com writers and analysts discuss the latest news and most important trends in ETFs with some of the smartest women in the business. It’s a fun and insight-packed gathering of ladies who work through lunch! You can also listen to it on Spotify, iTunes and Google.
Motivate Your Money, April 8, 2023 — Host Mac Garner, CFP®, features Marguerita Cheng on his show, explains, “Many of you know that Marguerita (Rita) Cheng, CFP®has been carrying the torch as a successful female leader in the #FinancialPlanning industry. You may also know that she is passionate about the need for more #Diversity #Equity#Inclusion in the financial services industry. But did you know that she’s also a TERP!”
“Yep, both Rita and are are University of Maryland alums! Rita joins me on this episode of “3 Pointers” to share her Top 3 Motivational Money Messages. You MUST listen to her advice. She’s been serving as a financial guide to her clients for many years and has some great words of wisdom to share!” Click here to watch the episode.
Rethinking65, April 6, 2023: “How to Support Moms Headed Back to School” — Going back to school later in life is a significant decision for anyone, but it can be especially daunting and challenging for moms. According to the Institute for Women’s Policy Research, 26% of undergraduate students are parents — and 71% are women. As CFP professionals, one of our most important responsibilities is providing guidance and support to moms returning to school, often to help secure their financial future. Advisors must take many factors into account when guiding them through this journey. Let’s explore what challenges moms face when returning to school and how you can help them succeed. Click here to read all about it.